Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bleach: There is no substitute


I consider myself a highly conscientious consumer. I do my best to make environmentally sound choices that do not poison my family or the earth, sometimes driving myself insane--and to several different stores--in the process. But, when it comes to getting things clean there is nothing like good old-fashioned bleach. For example, when your toddler leaves his favorite Plan Toys fire engine outside during a week-long rain spell and it's covered with a nasty black rash of mold, what's a mom to do? This has happened to other toys, like a beautiful set of rustic tree blocks. Eventually, I had to to toss them because they were starting to grow hairy legs after several overnighters outside in the yard. But, the fire engine I couldn't bring myself to dispose of. Besides being something that Henry actually enjoys playing with--as opposed to slamming it to smithereens a la Bam-Bam--it was also a gift from Uncle Geoff in Toronto.

My mom just so happened to be visiting when I showed her the ostensibly ruined toy. She bought a bottle of Clorox, gave the engine a 4-plus hour bleach bath and then a good scrub with soap and water. Glory Hallelujah, the wood came out sparkling like a newly peroxided blonde. I have seen the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment